Browse Items (82 total)

1905MainBuildingAndStMaryHall.jpg
A view of the front of St Mary's Hall that is almost finished being built. The building, beginning construction in August 1903, was finished in time for the re-opening of class in September 1905.

Tags: ,

1904_1920GreenHouse1A.jpg
A view of the greenhouse in the back of the Mt Notre Dame buildings. The Sisters were very keen to grow a lot of their own food, as well as to grow plants and flowers.

ChapelConventFrontExterior.jpg
An angled view of the main building and the chapel at Mt Notre Dame. The main building was the original convent, academy, and chapel. It wasn't until 1868, eight years after the academy opened, that the chapel was completed, using limestone from the…

ConventStMaryHallFrontExterior.jpg
An angled view of the front of Mt Notre Dame's buildings, including the main building on the left and St Mary's Hall on the right. The main building, the first built, was constructed in 1860 and St Mary's Hall, the last addition, was completed in…

StJosephBldgAndChapel.jpg
A rear image of St Joseph's Hall, built in the late 1870s, was incredibly useful for the Sisters as an extra space for their community room. Before St Joseph's Hall was built, all the assemblies were held in the refectory.

Summit newly built.jpg
A view of the front of the newly constructed Summit school and convent. Originally intended to be a convalescent home, construction plans soon changed to include a school in the building of The Summit.

SummitNewAcademyBldg.jpg
A view of the Academy Building at The Summit. While the rest of The Summit was still under construction, the first 20 students attended the classes on the ground floor of the West Wing, or Academy Building.

Tags: ,

Summit school under construction.jpg
A view of the construction of the East Wing and main building of The Summit. The East Wing, intended for convent space, was still being built while the first classes were taught in the West Wing, or Academy Building.

SummitCommunity1910.jpg
A view of the community around 1910 in front of All Saints House. The house was on the estate that Sister Superior Julia bought when she was looking for a new site. The first Sisters lived in the house before the construction of The Summit.

1896SummitCommunity.jpg
The community of Sisters moved into The Summit convent in 1890 and began teaching in September 1890 to a first class of 20 students.

1964Convent.jpg
A view of the new convent of the Sisters teaching at St Helen School in Dayton, Ohio. The Sisters began teaching at St Helen's in 1954.

Tags:

1954ConventChapel.jpg
A view of the convent chapel on the first floor of the Holy Family Convent in Dayton. The convent was renovated in 1954 to create more space for the Sisters teaching at Holy Family School.

Tags: ,

1954ConventExterior.jpg
A view of the front of the renovated convent used by the Sisters at Holy Family Parish in Dayton, Ohio. Although the Sisters taught at the school when it opened in 1907, the Sisters moved into the convent in 1926 from the convent on Franklin Street.

Tags:

MostHolyTrinityConvent.jpg
A front view of the first convent used by the Sisters in the Most Holy Trinity parish. When the Sisters arrived in 1953, the convent was not quite ready, so they boarded with the Sisters of the Good Shepherd for a few weeks. By the mid 1960s, the…

Tags: ,

c1960FirstConventA.jpg
An image of the first convent used by the Sisters in the Most Holy Trinity Parish. The convent was two one-story three-bedroom prefabricated houses connected together. It was built this way so that after the Sisters moved to a larger convent, the…

Tags: ,

Convent.jpg
The front entrance to the convent in Southern Pines. In 1935, Sister Provincial Rosalia of the Blessed Sacrament was initially looking for a rest house for sick or invalid Sisters. A doctor recommended the restorative climate of North Carolina. While…

Tags:

ConventSWCornerView.jpg
A view of the convent used by the Sisters in Hamilton from the Southwest corner. The original convent had two floors, the first used for classrooms and the second for living spaces. After a fire in 1891, a third floor was added to increase space for…

Tags:

1953ConventAcademyAndHighSchoolA.jpg
A photo of the three main buildings built on the Notre Dame property. On the left is the high school building built in 1925 and in the middle is the academy building built in 1901, both used to accommodate the growing student population. On the right…

Tags: ,

1890ConventSideCloseUp.jpg
An image of the renovated convent that was damaged in a fire in 1891. The Sisters were ready to add a new tin roof when they received permission to add a third story to the building.

1888ConventFront.jpg
An image of the convent built for the Sisters on Second Street in Hamilton in 1873. Previously, the Sisters lived in a rented house near the old Baltimore and Ohio depot on Fourth Street.

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2