Documents and photos showing the lives, works, and community of the Sisters in Dayton, Ohio.
A view and approximate dates of the buildings that were part of the Notre Dame Academy and convent of the Sisters in Dayton on the corner of Franklin and Ludlow Streets. The first school building, known as the "Ark", was built in 1851, followed by…
A drawing showing the expansion of the Sisters, school, and community in Dayton. The document was used as part of the materials to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the Sisters' presence in Dayton.
A view of the newly constructed 1904 addition to the Academy. The original building that the Sisters purchased in 1849, originally owned by former Ohio Governor Colonel Valandingham, was torn down to make space for the new building.
A view of the 1905 addition to Notre Dame Academy. The new building housed an enlarged chapel, spacious library, classrooms, science room, music rooms, and parlors.
Students of Notre Dame Academy posing in the arts studio.
Students in the music room at Notre Dame Academy. During a third, and successful, attempt at establishing their own non-parish school for girls in Dayton, the Sisters opened a popular Music Department for their students, led by Sr Mary Ambrosia from…
Students sitting at their desks in a classroom at Notre Dame Academy.
The rear of the Academy, known as the Ark, and convent on Franklin and Ludlow Streets in Dayton.
The front entrance to the convent and academy. The wall was 14 feet tall and on the inner side were three statues, one of St Joseph, St Aloysius, and St Anthony. It stood for 46 years until the 1913 flood of the Miami River.
The rear of the Academy and convent used for garden spaces and an area for rest.
An interior view of the convent chapel.
An interior view of the convent chapel with the statue of St Julie below the statue of Mary.
A parlor room used by the Sisters in their convent on Franklin Street.
Sister Marie Terese with the boys of Emmanuel parish school, located across the street from the Franklin Street Convent. Sister Marie Therese taught the 7th and 8th grade boys from 1931-1935.
A statue depicting Mary and the infant Jesus located in the garden or courtyard at the Franklin Street convent. The photo was taken before the 1913 flood of the Great Miami River, which caused heavy damage to the convent and school.
A drawing of a tree used to demonstrate the impact and reach of the Sisters in the parishes of Dayton since their arrival in 1849.
A painting, likely drawn by a Sister or a student, depicting the method of travel used by the first five Sisters to arrive in Dayton in 1849.
A view of the front of the Barney-Kuntz Home on Forest and Homewood Avenues purchased by the Sisters. The Sisters used the building as a temporary site to hold classes while they planned a larger school and convent for the growing student population.…
A view of the back of the Barney-Kuntz Home on Forest and Homewood Avenues purchased by the Sisters in 1923. For a while, classes were held both at Notre Dame Academy on Franklin Street and at the Barney-Kuntz Home while construction was going on for…
A view of the front of the renovated convent used by the Sisters at Holy Family Parish in Dayton, Ohio. Although the Sisters taught at the school when it opened in 1907, the Sisters moved into the convent in 1926 from the convent on Franklin Street.