A front view of the first convent used by the Sisters in the Most Holy Trinity parish. When the Sisters arrived in 1953, the convent was not quite ready, so they boarded with the Sisters of the Good Shepherd for a few weeks. By the mid 1960s, the Sisters moved into a larger two-story convent.
An image of the first convent used by the Sisters in the Most Holy Trinity Parish. The convent was two one-story three-bedroom prefabricated houses connected together. It was built this way so that after the Sisters moved to a larger convent, the units could be separated and sold to a family in the area.
A side view of the old church at 55th and Lamar. As the community in the parish continued to grow, Sisters needed increasing room. One place they found for classroom space was in the back of the church.
A view of a migrant worker's house on the perimeter of the Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish boundaries. Sisters both in the OLPH and Most Holy Trinity in Phoenix would teach the children of the migrants.
An image of the front of the church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at 55th and Lamar Ave. in Glendale, AZ. The parish of OLPH was the first location in Arizona that the Sisters settled in. When the Sisters arrived in the summer of 1950, they quickly realized that wearing their black habits was absolutely inappropriate for the Southwestern weather. They borrowed material from the Precious Blood Community to make Arizona-specific habits, which included a grey tunic and white veil.
Seven students sitting on horses on the campus grounds. Horse riding was a popular pastime for the students. Sister Helen recalled that most days from 3-4, students spent time outside for athletic purposes. One of the general regulations stated that athletic exercises were required unless a pupil presented a doctor's note.
An image of the school bus used to transport day schoolers to and from the Academy. There was an option to board at the school, which four students did the first year the school opened in 1937, but most students lived at home.
Students from the lower grades outside of the school house. When the school opened, Sisters held classes from 1st through the fourth year of high school. All grades were taught French and there was an emphasis on musical classes.
A dorm room used by one of the lodgers at the Academy. Sister Marie Sylvia, mistress of boarders in the 1930s, described how difficult it was to keep the boarders from being bored because there was little excitement at the Academy. Students wanted to go to movies and into town, but were seldom allowed, unless there was a lay teacher willing to accompany them.
An image of what is likely the gymnasium used by the students at Notre Dame Academy in Southern Pines. A booklet about the school advertised the various athletic opportunities for students to enjoy, including: tennis, basketball, hockey, volleyball, archery, horseback riding, swimming, and boating.
A view of the grounds at Southern Pines. Previously known as "Pineholm", the estate that the Sisters bought included two garages, four barns, wind mills, a log-cabin gymnasium, two lakes, pine groves, and a sunken garden.
The front entrance to the convent in Southern Pines. In 1935, Sister Provincial Rosalia of the Blessed Sacrament was initially looking for a rest house for sick or invalid Sisters. A doctor recommended the restorative climate of North Carolina. While Sister Rosalia of the Blessed Sacrament was in North Carolina, accompanied by Bishop Hafey of the Diocese of Raleigh, the idea of a school replaced that of finding a rest house. When she purchased the land in Southern Pines, it was with the intention of establishing an academy.
A photo of early students, around 1890, at Notre Dame Academy in Hamilton. Although initially concerned about the low enrollment at the Academy, the Sisters soon saw increasing numbers and by 1901 would need an additional building.