Washington, DC

Title

Washington, DC

Description

Photos and documents showing the lives and works of the Sisters and their community in Washington, DC.

Items in the Washington, DC Collection

St Aloysius School
A view of the exterior of what is believed to be St Aloysius school. The parish school was where the Sisters first began teaching, along with the Industrial School, when they moved to Washington DC at the urging of Ellen Ewing Sherman, the wife of…

K Street Academy of Notre Dame Construction
The construction of the new Academy of Notre Dame building on the corner of K Street and North Capitol. The school was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day in 1920 by Cardinal Gibbons.

K Street Convent
A view of the K Street Convent after the school was torn down in 1923. The gate to the courtyard was always opened so that passersby could stop in and say a prayer at the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes.

K Street Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes Interior
A view into the grotto in the courtyard at K Street. The grotto was built in 1876, along with the original Academy of Notre Dame on the K Street site.

K Street Buildings
A photo of the buildings on K Street with identifying notations. The convent on the left (corner of K Street and North Capitol) was renovated in 1908 by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia. The grotto in the center of the courtyard and the school on the…

K Street Convent and School
A side view of the K Street Convent. The image of the convent is of the 1908 renovation completed by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia. The original building was build by the women of the Saint Aloysius Relief Society and was intended to be both a…

K Street Grotto with Students
Two students praying to the statue of Our Lady in the grotto at K Street. Early annals mention miraculous cures connected to the prayers asked in the grotto.

K Street Chapel
A view of the interior of the chapel at the K Street convent. The original building at K Street did not have a chapel. One was later built around 1876 at the rear of the convent and Industrial School.

K Street Chapel Renovated
The renovated chapel at K Street. Sister Superior Mary Appolonia added new tiles and frescoes to the chapel when she was renovating other parts of the convent to make it more livable for the expanding number of the Sisters.

K Street Chapel with Sisters
Sisters at prayer in the renovated chapel at K Street. The chapel was renovated by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia in the 1900s; new tiles and fresco-ed walls were added.

K Street Courtyard
The courtyard at K Street.

K Street Grotto with Statues
Two statues, one of Our Lady, in the grotto at K Street. The grotto is connected with miraculous cures in the early years of the Sisters' presence at K Street. The gates to the courtyard were always open, so people would frequently visit the grotto…

K Street Academy of Notre Dame 1910 Graduates
10 graduates from the Academy of Notre Dame at K Street in 1910. There appear to be two tracks at the Academy in the early days. In 1912, there is a mention of a Commercial Class of graduates, and in 1921 there was a post-graduate secretarial…

K Street Community, 1880s
The community of Sisters at K Street in the 1880s. The first three Sisters who began the community were Sisters Lidwine (Superior), Clare, and Mary Clemence.

K Street Academy of Notre Dame, Myrtle St
The Academy of Notre Dame on Myrtle St and North Capitol. The Academy was built in 1876 by the Jesuits at St Aloysius church across the street. It replaced the Industrial School, established in 1873, that the Sisters taught at to educate the young…

K Street Chapel
A view of the space of the early chapel at K Street, built around 1876. Cardinal Gibbons, a friend of the Sisters, frequently said Mass in the chapel when he visited the city.

K Street Convent and Grotto
The grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in the courtyard of the Convent at K Street. Before the attached school was torn down in 1923, the central building housed the Sisters on the first two floors, and the top floor contained music rooms.

K Street Convent Front
The front of the convent at K Street. The image depicts the more stylized and comfortable convent for the Sisters. The original building intended for both the convent and the Industrial School was not finished when the Sisters moved in, and lacked…

K Street Grotto with Door
A view of the space in the grotto, which was connected to the convent at K Street.

K Street Convent Renovation
The images of the convent at K Street after the Academy of Notre Dame was demolished and rebuilt across the street next to the Gonzaga College High School for boys. The remodeled part of the convent where the school used to exist included a spacious…