Browse Items (22 total)

1922KStreetClassOfA.jpg
The 1922 graduates of the Academy of Notre Dame at the new school site across from the convent.

StAloysiusChurch.jpg
The interior of the St Aloysius Church, located across the street from the convent at K Street. The Sisters taught the girls at the parish school, and later, starting in 1915, the boys through grade 8.

Tags:

KStreetNewEditionA.jpg
The images of the convent at K Street after the Academy of Notre Dame was demolished and rebuilt across the street next to the Gonzaga College High School for boys. The remodeled part of the convent where the school used to exist included a spacious…

KStreetGrotto.jpg
A view of the space in the grotto, which was connected to the convent at K Street.

Tags: ,

KStreetConventEntrance.jpg
The front of the convent at K Street. The image depicts the more stylized and comfortable convent for the Sisters. The original building intended for both the convent and the Industrial School was not finished when the Sisters moved in, and lacked…

Tags:

KStreetConventAndGrotto.jpg
The grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in the courtyard of the Convent at K Street. Before the attached school was torn down in 1923, the central building housed the Sisters on the first two floors, and the top floor contained music rooms.

KStreetChapel.jpg
A view of the space of the early chapel at K Street, built around 1876. Cardinal Gibbons, a friend of the Sisters, frequently said Mass in the chapel when he visited the city.

Tags: ,

c1890KStreetBuildingsSide.jpg
The Academy of Notre Dame on Myrtle St and North Capitol. The Academy was built in 1876 by the Jesuits at St Aloysius church across the street. It replaced the Industrial School, established in 1873, that the Sisters taught at to educate the young…

Tags: ,

c1885Sisters.jpg
The community of Sisters at K Street in the 1880s. The first three Sisters who began the community were Sisters Lidwine (Superior), Clare, and Mary Clemence.

1910KStreetClassOf.jpg
10 graduates from the Academy of Notre Dame at K Street in 1910. There appear to be two tracks at the Academy in the early days. In 1912, there is a mention of a Commercial Class of graduates, and in 1921 there was a post-graduate secretarial…

KStreetGrotto.jpg
Two statues, one of Our Lady, in the grotto at K Street. The grotto is connected with miraculous cures in the early years of the Sisters' presence at K Street. The gates to the courtyard were always open, so people would frequently visit the grotto…

KStreetCourtyard.jpg
The courtyard at K Street.

KStreetChapelSisters.jpg
Sisters at prayer in the renovated chapel at K Street. The chapel was renovated by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia in the 1900s; new tiles and fresco-ed walls were added.

Tags:

KStreetChapelAltar.jpg
The renovated chapel at K Street. Sister Superior Mary Appolonia added new tiles and frescoes to the chapel when she was renovating other parts of the convent to make it more livable for the expanding number of the Sisters.

Tags:

KStreetChapel.jpg
A view of the interior of the chapel at the K Street convent. The original building at K Street did not have a chapel. One was later built around 1876 at the rear of the convent and Industrial School.

Tags:

c1960KStreetGrottoStudentsA.jpg
Two students praying to the statue of Our Lady in the grotto at K Street. Early annals mention miraculous cures connected to the prayers asked in the grotto.

c1920KStreetConventAndSchool3.jpg
A side view of the K Street Convent. The image of the convent is of the 1908 renovation completed by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia. The original building was build by the women of the Saint Aloysius Relief Society and was intended to be both a…

Tags: ,

c1920KStreetConventAndSchool1.jpg
A photo of the buildings on K Street with identifying notations. The convent on the left (corner of K Street and North Capitol) was renovated in 1908 by Sister Superior Mary Appolonia. The grotto in the center of the courtyard and the school on the…

1926OurLadyOfLourdesGrottoPostcardA.jpg
A view into the grotto in the courtyard at K Street. The grotto was built in 1876, along with the original Academy of Notre Dame on the K Street site.

1923_KStreetConvent.jpg
A view of the K Street Convent after the school was torn down in 1923. The gate to the courtyard was always opened so that passersby could stop in and say a prayer at the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes.

Tags: ,

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2