Sisters of St. Mary of Kisantu, Congo-Kinshasa 1942
In 1939, five young girls from the small normal school at Lemfu expressed the desire to become (women) religious. Msgr. Verwimp, Apostolic Vicar of Kisantu, decided to begin a novitiate, the “Kisoeur” to welcome the young Congolese girls. Although their formation was entrusted to the Sisters of Notre Dame, they would form an independent congregation. The Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Mary of Kisantu, a diocesan community, was officially established February 2, 1942. In 1961, it became independent.